Real Oldies 97.9 The WREN is an FCC license non-commercial radio station operated by Genesis Communications Inc, a not for profit Virginia corporation. We are an IRS 501(c)3 organization.
Underwriting is a way for your business (or non-profit) to gain community recognition for your support of WREN and our quality oldies and educational programming.
On-air acknowledgements enhance your image as supporters of WREN, a unique, locally owned and operated Charlottesville radio station.
You may underwrite a specific program on the station or purchase general underwriting announcements.
WREN underwriting also includes a 125 pixel square logo linked to your website on our front page at here at 979wren.org and a 250 x 300 or 90 x 728 pixel linked ad for your business or organization on our streaming music player page at no additional cost.
All your donations to WREN including underwriting are tax-deductible as allowed by IRS regulations.
What Content May I Have in My Underwriting Announcement?
WREN is committed to creating high quality, professional underwriting announcements. We believe that you will be satisfied the representation of your business on Real Oldies 97,9 The WREN. We will always work with you to maximize your message within the parameters set by the FCC. A support statement with your legal or trade name must be stated to identify you as an underwriter supporting WREN in all underwriting announcements (i.e. – “Bill’s Hardware supports WREN”).
The following items can be used in an underwriting announcement:
- An established slogan used by your business (there are some FCC restrictions)
- Telephone number, email address, website and business location
- Days and times of operation
- A listing of no more than five products or services
- Product origin (“fine antiques”)
- Intended use of product, (“decorative art”)
- Product content, (“cotton blend t-shirts”)
- Form of delivery, or method of preparation, (“Delivered by Uber” or “fried chicken”)
FCC / WREN Underwriting Regulations and Policies
Due to FCC regulations of non-commercial stations there are several rules we must abide by in any underwriting announcement.
The following is a brief description of what cannot be used in and underwriting acknowledgment copy:
- Qualitative language, (wonderful; homemade)
- Comparative language, (better; most)
- “Calls to action,” (call today, come by)
- First person statements, (I)
- Second person statements, (you)
We have developed a page with FCC underwriting rules, precedents and advisories which explains the FCC and WREN underwriting requirements at https://www.979wren.org/fcc-underwriting-rules for those interested in learning more about FCC underwriting rules, precedents, and advisories.
All underwriting copy, including corporate slogans, is subject to the approval of WREN. (Financial support does not in any way imply that sponsors may influence program content or programming decisions)
For More Information
For more information on underwriting contact WREN Operations Manager Mike McBlair: Email: email@example.com, Phone: 434-409-7086