Cool Music Trivia From This Day In Music!
- French beauty brand Etat Libre D'Orange announced that they have teamed up with to bottle the scent of the Punk era by launching the band's first fragrance. Company executives said "to wear this scent, you must resist tradition, fight conformity, and disregard aromatic conventions."
- US film-maker Adam Muskiewicz set up elviswanted.com as part of a documentary exploring the myth that the singer was still alive and offered a $3m (£1.59m) reward for anybody who found alive. The film was due for release in August 2007, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of Presley's death.
- Kanye West called for an end to homophobia in the hip-hop community during an interview saying hip-hop was always about speaking your mind and about breaking down barriers, but everyone in hip-hop discriminates against gay people. Not just hip-hop, but America just discriminates, I wanna just, to come on TV and just tell my rappers, just tell my friends, 'Yo, stop it'."
- Rick Griffin, died after being forced off the road by a van he was attempting to pass on his Harley Heritage Softail motorbike. One of his best known album covers was for the Grateful Dead's 'Aoxomoa' LP, and the legendary "Flying Eyeball" poster he designed for a series of concerts in San Francisco featuring the Albert King and John Mayall.
- made their live debut as a three-piece band when they played at Rebecca's Birmingham, England. The Police became globally popular in the late 1970s and are generally regarded as one of the first New Wave groups to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock that was influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz.
- made his debut with at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
- Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' under the pseudonyms Ann Orson and Carte Blanche.
- "I'm sure women are much stronger than men, and it's incredibly hard on them that they should not be able to show their emotions when actually, it's OK to be weak." Kate Bush
- Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian was arrested in 1997 after being caught on security cameras trying to steal from the New York Yankees' training camp.